Friday, April 25, 2014

Vintage Picture


 
Today’s treasure from the past is simple and precious. This picture was given to my grandmother Minnie Pitts Powell, at Christmas, by her mother Lula Wright Pitts when Minnie was 12 years old.


I’m unsure if my great grandmother Lula purchased the picture as one unit or if it was her idea to sandwich the paper picture of fruit between the metal frame and cardboard herself. The cardboard is roughly cut which makes me think that it might have been Lula’s creation for her youngest child Minnie

On the back of this (my) vintage picture, my grandmother recorded its history in her handwriting: 
 
"A Christmas Gift from my mom when I was 12 years old."
 
This gift must have meant something to my grandmother. Not only did she keep it, she wrote a bit of its history on the back.
 
See photos of Minnie and Lula here. 

 

7 comments:

JoJo said...

Lovely still life. You should open up the backs of those pics and see if any bonds or money are stored there. I've heard stories of people buying a $1 picture at a yard sale for the frame and uncovering thousands of dollars.

Pat Hatt said...

lol never knew that about the above, open up the back! I may have to hit some yard sales haha Great pic too.

Robin said...

You have a treasure trove of priceless things. Love this!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's good she wrote it down so everyone would know.

cleemckenzie said...

How very special. Now you can add your touch with a small note, then pass it on to someone in the family who will cherish it.

Susan Kane said...

The value of these gifts cannot be underestimated. So precious.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa .. what a fantastic piece of delightful art - for you to have as a memory of your great grandmother and your grandmother, her daughter ...

What a Vintage Treasure .. huge value and so valuable to you as a family ..

Cheers - and I love it .. Hilary